Has The Harsh Chicago Winter Caused Your Pipes To Freeze? Call A-Ability Plumbing Today. We Can Help!
A major problem that we face due to the harsh winters of Chicagoland is frozen or burst pipes. Although most people fear the worst with frozen pipes, if you contact A-Ability Plumbers immediately we should be able to minimize the damage to your home and get your problem fixed quickly.
How do I know if my pipes are frozen?
Typically you will notice that your pipes are frozen during extreme cold temperatures because you will turn on your faucet and no water will come out. You may also notice that water is not draining from a sink or tub if your drain pipes have frozen. In any event, if you suspect your pipes may have frozen it is extremely important to call A-Ability Plumbing immediately. We will advise you to locate and turn off your main water valve and we will have one of our highly trained plumbers in route to your home immediately. Although frozen pipes can cause a tremendous amount of damage to your home, if you act quickly A-Ability Plumbing can help prevent major problems.
What can I do to protect my pipes during extreme cold temperatures?
There are several things you can do around your house to prevent your pipes from freezing during extreme cold temperatures. Here are a few suggestions:
- Make sure that your garage door stays closed if there are water lines near the garage.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate to the pipes.
- In extremely cold temperatures, allow the cold water to trickle from the faucet of any pipes that are located on exposed walls. The trickle of water will keep the pipes from freezing.
- Keep the temperature of you home the same during the day and night. Many people lower their thermostats at night to lower heating costs but it could lead to costly frozen pipes.
- If you will be going away, be sure to leave the heat in your home set to no lower than 55 degrees.
What do I do if my pipes are frozen?
Simple, contact A-Ability Plumbing immediately! Waiting too long to contact an experienced plumber may be a very costly mistake in the long run. Don’t try to do it yourself, A-Ability Plumbing can help.